Children with autism commonly have difficulties with language and social skills. A Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) can help children with autism to improve social and communication skills as well as help manage and overall reduce unwanted behaviors.
At Cowboy Up Therapies, we believe that animal assisted therapy is very beneficial for children who have autism. The trained animal is not only nonthreatening to the child, but is motivating and makes therapy fun.
Cowboy Up Therapies completes formal assessments of all of our patients and clients. Once the assessment is scored, the SLP will go over the areas that are strengths for your child, as well as areas of opportunity. Together, the parents and the SLP will determine goals to work on in therapy. Some of these goals include:
- developing joint attention
- playing and getting along with others
- follow directions
- identify the most efficient means of communication to communicate immediate needs and wants
- Verbal skills
- Turn-taking in conversations or other activities
- Asking for help
- Initiating a conversation
- Reading and writing skills
- Suggestions for family to improve interactions with the child
- Other goals as determined by caregivers and SLP
- Children with autism may be picky eaters. A SLP can help your child accept new foods or textures.
- Suggestions for parents of a child with autism:
- Make sure you have your child’s attention before you talk
- Talk to your child throughout the day – talk about what you are doing or what he/she is doing
- Read to your child and point to words as you read them
- Ask your child to point to pictures in books
- Explain feelings like happy, sad, or mad. Identify these emotions when your child expresses them or when you experience them
- Gradually introduce new foods. Praise your child for trying them.
- Be positive and patient with your child. Tell him/her when she/he does well.